Opening Borders

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Apr 8 08:47:50 PDT 1999

Chris Burford wrote:

>tolerating Serb fascism.

Change the tape, Chris. You've made your position tediously clear.

A letter in today's FT has some interesting quotes from the leaders of Croatia and Bosnia. I don't think the FT fact-checks letters, so perhaps the quotes are invented or taken out of context; I welcome any corrections from the desktop bombardiers. But here they are:

"Genocide is a natural phenomenon; it is not only permitted it is recommended by the Almighty." - Franjo Tudjman, president of Croatia

"There can be no peace between the Islamic faith and non-Islamic institutions. Islam must take power as soon as it is numerically strong enough...and destroy the non-Islamic power." - Aliaj Izetbegovic, president of Bosnia

The letter, from one Rodney Atkinson of London, goes on to say:

"So why is Nato not bombing Croatia and Bosnia? They have killed and expelled hundreds of thousands of Serbs - 40 percent of the refugees from Ygoslavia are Serb. The first ethnic cleansing was of 40,000 Serbs from Croatia in 1990 by President Tudjman, who declared the Serbs in Croatia 'an alien minority.'"

Before any of the bombardiers reads my quoting this as apologetics for Serbian action, it ain't. There are no black hats and white hats in this affair - or, as Chris Burford put it:

>This line is one of its all a mess. There are atrocities on all sides.

Exactly.

Doug