Real Progress: Reebok and American Center for International Labor...

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Apr 9 09:29:07 PDT 1999

Nathan Newman wrote:

>Do folks find the collaboration
>between the AFL-CIO and Reebok problematic or a useful new model?

Leaving aside the long, sordid history of AFL-CIO cooperation with the CIA, every time I hear about the AFL-CIO offering advice to foreign workers I think of the comment by a Federation advisor in South Korea during the intense labor rebellions of 1987. The problem with Korean unions, he was quoted in the Wall Street Journal as saying, is that they don't know how to control their rank and file. Of course, maybe New Labor is different now.

Doug