"Matrix" movie

Tavia tavia.nyongo at yale.edu
Fri Apr 9 04:36:34 PDT 1999

I just saw it with a friend last night: it was his second time. I find it amusing that we leftists always find ourselves arguing over whether cultural products like this are 'more' subversive or 'more' hegemonic, when the answer, as Eve Sedgwick points out, is almost always: "kinda subversive, kinda hegemonic."

Could you say that the only reason we feel motivated to have these sub/heg debates is because we really enjoyed and/or were moved by the movie, but we worry that if we enjoy a mass entertainment unreflexively, we become complicit with some industrial-technological-entertainment complex? If so, arguing the political merits and demerits of a film becomes prophylaxis: a way to participate in the enjoyment of the film while protecting ourselves against the legitimating effects of that enjoyment.

Tavia

------------------------------------------------------------- Tavia Nyongo Turkish Doctoral Student American Studies Yale University

"I don't mind: Being called a Marxist-Leninist makes me feel young again. It's like being asked for ID in a bar." -- Mark Kingwell -------------------------------------------------------------