Max, Angela, Chris, DL

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Apr 9 09:48:53 PDT 1999

Jim heartfield wrote, responding to The Enlightened One:

>> The first problem is that the people of the Balkans are
>>uncivilized and cannot resist the temptation to use ethnicity as an excuse
>>for violence. This, I believe, is no insult but a clear representation of
>>the facts. After weeks and months of hearing claims and counter-claims of
>>atrocious behavior by Serbs, Croats, Albanians and all the rest, I have
>>simply added up the instances of atrocious behavior and come to the
>>conclusion that these people, all of them, are essentially hooligans.
>
>Sadly DL's racial stereotype of the people of the Balkans is not unique,
>but underlies a lot of liberal distaste for this region.

No kidding. Thanks, Boddhi, for exhibiting precisely the kind of liberal racism that Zizek was talking about. It's nice to have a living proof text before one's eyes (even if I missed it the first time around) to show that Zizek wasn't just pulling stuff out of the air.

Why, with such benighted opinions, do you call yourself The Enlightened One?

Doug