"Matrix" movie

Peter Kilander peterk at enteract.com
Fri Apr 9 18:25:50 PDT 1999

The other night in this thread, I guessed the writers stole from Kurt Vonnegut - there's a throw-away line mentioning "Breakfast of Champions." That book is about a car salesman in Indianapolis who comes to discover everyone else in the world is a robot. Anyway, I checked out a book of interviews with Vonnegut and turned up this nugget:

(This is Vonnegut's fictional character Kilgore Trout talking, while in the middle of a made-up interview with Vonnegut) "I once wrote a story entitled "The Dancing Fool." Like so many of my stories, it was about a tragic failure to communicate. Here was the plot:

A flying saucer creature named Zog arrived on Earth to explain how wars could be prevented and how cancer could be cured. He brought the information from Margo, a planet where the natives conversed by means of farts and tap dancing.

Zog landed at night in Connecticut. He had no sooner touched down than he saw a house on fire. He rushed into the house, farting and tap dancing, warning the people about the terrible danger they were in. The head of the house brained Zog with a golf club."