Max, Angela, Chris, DL

D.L. boddhisatva at mindspring.com
Sat Apr 10 03:35:17 PDT 1999

I wrote:

>D.L. wrote:
>
>>To say that the Balkans are filled with thugs and political opportunists
>>willing to incite ethnic prejudice is simply obvious

And C. Henwood replied:

>There's usually a long history to "the obvious," isn't there?
>
>Doug

Right, and my point, to return to the actual point, is that the history, long as it is and filled as it is with violence indicates a significant tendency towards ethnic prejudice in this region and violence based on that prejudice. This is by no means unique to the Balkans. Only an idiot would assume that Balkan politics are somehow related to genetics and the statement that the Balkans are prone to ethnic violence is not, therefore, a "racial" slur. That I even have to go in to such an explaination is absurd.

Therefore I repeat that when one adds up the incidents of violence and bigotry in the Balkans one can, without having to sort out the claims and counter-claims, come to a reasonable conclusion that the political/cultural environment of this region has been poisoned by ethnic prejudice. Since that prejudice is clearly the principal cause of the present conflict and since there will be no resolution to the conflict, (save complete separation of the parties, and that might not even work), without that ethnic prejudice being enlightened out of existence, it is reasonable to say that the Serbs and Albanians are responsible, despite the fact of outside provocation, for their own actions. It is also reasonable to chide and scold them (by denouncing their bigotry for what it is and not fetishizing their "historical" viewpoints), back to the diplomatic table. Certainly that's more reasonable than taking up for one side or another and simply perpetuating a conflict that already seems intractable.

I do not think there is a defensible Serb anti-Albanian position nor do I think there is a defensible Albanian anti-Serb position. The people, Serbs and Albanians, who engendered this conflict and betrayed the otherwise good will of their people are guilty and ethnicity is moot. So are those who supported the engendering of the conflict, actively or tacitly. Whatever ethnic-baiting nonsense has been shoved down their throats, the people of the Balkans have a responsibility not to act on that nonsense and to see it for the nonsense it is. They haven't and that is why they fall victim to every two-bit political bully who wants to throw his weight around.

peace