Kosova's long struggle for independence

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Sat Apr 10 12:08:32 PDT 1999

At 03:08 PM 4/10/99 +0200, Johannes wrote:
>On a less philosophical level: Isnt it possible to oppose the NATO
>bombings and support the Kosovorians right for self-determination? And at
the same
>time one doesnt have to love the KLA and defend self-determination.

Johannes: I think that the real question is whether self-determination, which in the current context means national self-determination, is good from the Left's point of view. Frankly, I have doubts. National boundaries are quite permeable by the capital, they tend to divide mainly the workers.

Please also note that the guardians of "national identity" are almost always the ruling and and the scribbling classes - e.g. the recent surge of Serb nationalism was instigated "from above" - by intellectuals and politicians.

My own position on this issue is close to that of Rosa Luxemburg, who opposed national separatism on the grounds that it divides the working class.

Wojtek