Pacifica update: Bensky fired

steve at panix.com steve at panix.com
Sat Apr 10 23:17:45 PDT 1999

Doug Henwood said:

> Marta Russell wrote:
>
> >So what can one do about all this censorship??
>
> Write or email the Pacifica bigwigs to start with. Call into call-in shows,
> if you can, and ask questions.

When I got the message, through the freepacifica list, that Bensky had been fired, I dialled WBAI immediately. I waited over forty minutes on the phone before I was on the air, but I wasted no time in telling Santiago Nieves, of Friday Talkback, the news that Bensky had been fired, and why, and how I found out from the freepacifica list. He didn't resist me or the news at all. People can't be afraid, as if they think they're breaking some rule. The gag rule doesn't apply to us, the listeners. Call any of the shows that take calls.

Steven Matthews