cluster bombs

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 11 14:08:25 PDT 1999

In message <00c701be8455$f6028740$94ba8482 at nsn2>, Nathan Newman <nathan.newman at yale.edu> writes
>If NATO is using cluster bombs on civilian targets, then this argument might
>have a point.
>
>If the Serbs used cluster bombs on civilians as part of ethnic clensing,
>while NATO is using them on military units (arguably to prevent the same),
>then the analogy is merely more apologia for Serb atrocities.

You should read more closely: the case mentioned was of the use of cluster bombs by a Serb during the Croats' military campaign to force civilians out of Krajina. Nobody has suggested that the Nato forces - or the Serbs - have, so far, used cluster bombs deliberately against civilian targets.

On the more general point, Nathan is just wrong: The Nato bombing campaign is hitting civilian targets, in both the Serbian and Kosovan provinces of the Republic of Yugoslavia. Two nights ago Nato's missiles struck a tower block in Pristina killing mostly muslims (the people that they are supposed to be saving, remember). Nato have targeted factories and bridges, and have hit suburban houses and even hospitals.

In defiance of the government, Serb civilians nightly gather for vigils on the major bridges and factories in the hope of dissuading Nato forces from blowing them up. Nato spokesmen have made it clear that they consider bridges to be a legitimate target even if there are hundred of Serb civilians standing vigil on them. A few nights ago a factory was hit (fortunately not directly) injuring the 120 workers who were occupying it to try to save it from destruction.

It is not possible to organise bombing raids on large cities like Belgrade, Novi Sad or Pristina without hitting civilian targets. I would have thought that since all that guff about 'smart bombs' in the Gulf War we would know that night bombing raids kill fairly indiscriminately, and that those who indulge in them are deliberately killing civilians.

I am carefully balancing my own critical comments of either side in strict proportion to their military budgets. -- Jim heartfield