Chomsky Praises LBO

Maria Gilmore Maria.Gilmore at gte.net
Sun Apr 11 16:54:39 PDT 1999

Noam Chomsky is saying nice things about the LBO...this is from a comment of his on his discussion group on ZNet:

Unindentified, wants to know what I think about the "turn-around by many reactionary intellectuals" who are criticizing capitalism, US intervention abroad, warning Washington that it is

being considered a "rogue superpower," etc.

I think it's an interesting development. There are

many other cases. Thus, in the same issue of "Foreign Affairs" in which Huntington warns about becoming the "rogue superpower," the lead article sharply criticizes the European Community for subordinating itself to an unaccountable Central Bank, a dangerous attack on democracy -- the kind of thing one used to find in Doug Henwood's invaluable "Left Business Observer," but is now a lead article in FA.

The issue being discussed is interesting, too. <g> Doug, any possibility the mainstream is catching up to you? Chomsky maintains this kind of stuff is getting mainstream ink because the policy-makers are getting really really scared of what's going to happen and who's going to get hurt when it does.