genocide

Seth Ackerman SAckerman at FAIR.org
Mon Apr 12 14:20:20 PDT 1999

Doug,

If the U.S. tried to wipe out the Indians before, that doesn't mean they're trying to wipe out the Indians today. You can choose to take words like genocide seriously or you can choose to take advantage of their emotional connotations. I don't deny that the U.S. mistreats Indians. You don't have to call it "genocidal" to make the point. And it's not picayune to make a distinction between genocidal mistreatment and non-genocidal mistreatment.

I suspect that if someone tried the same kind of intellectual elision on a question of political economy -- for example, claiming the U.S. economy is in a state of "crisis" because wages have stagnated -- you would not let it slide, as indeed you have not in the past on that question.

seth