Dalai Lama

S Pawlett epawlett at uniserve.com
Mon Apr 12 21:45:44 PDT 1999

Gunder Frank wrote:

> I found him perfectly normal and down to earth - just like me - and he
> told me I'm a good guy too, just like him. need i go into more detail
> about our talk about us and the world? anyway, that makes it hard for me
> to believe what I just read about him here.
> agf

You could say the same for anyone. Was it Churchill, the State Department or both who referred to Mussolini as "that fine gentleman"? Kingsley Amis used to write this great restaurant column in Vogue (I could never tell whether he was being ironic) that usually went something like this: " The Sultan of Oman and I lunched over quails eggs lightly dusted with saffron. We imbibed a subtle yet slightly pungent French chardonnay of 17 year vintage all while discussing Neville Marriner's new Mozart cycle and the possibility of Marriner appearing at the reception for General Pinochet to be held at the Chilean embassy on Tuesday. A finely distinguished gentleman, I had great trouble believing the accusations being hurled at the beleagured Sultan by The Communists".

With individuals, like the Dalai Lama, who are in positions of power and influence it matters most what they do, not what they say. The Dalai Lama's actions speak loudly to what side he is on. His greatest fear is jacquerie.

Sam Pawlett