rc-am rcollins at netlink.com.au
Tue Apr 13 20:51:41 PDT 1999

>From: Student Union of Yugoslavia <suserb at sezampro.yu>
>Subject: <nettime> Political assasination in Serbia
>Sender: owner-nettime-l at basis.Desk.nl
>
>Slavko Curuvija, owner of the Yugoslav opposition newspaper Dnevni
Telegraf,
>was shot to death on Sunday.

from: Viktor, belgrade

- about the murder od Slavko Curuvija, owner of the Yugoslav opposition newspaper Dnevni Telegraf, who was shot to death on Sunday.

Offcourse, there is nothing official about this in the media. Political parties haven't reacted, except SPO. Vuk (Draskovic) made a lot of noise about it on Studio B TV. i just watched him. The murder itself was committed in the middle of the day, in Ivo Lola Ribar street (i don't know what's the new name of this street, given by these nationalists, and i don't care...), which is very busy, and the assasin wasn't seen nor caught. This indicates that this was done proffesionally, and maybe also who ordered the murder. My mother passed by the scene of the murder some half an hour after it was committed, and everything was already cleared. There was a lot of people and police there. People are VERY scared. If the purpose of this murder was to frighten people, then it was achieved, Mother of one of my mother's friends cries for the whole day and says how her daughter and son in law will be licvidated (they worked for AIM, and she was also a translator for UNPROFOR, SFOR and IFOR...). People mostly don't want to talk about this, they became more silent, don't trust anyone anymore. Everybody's suspicious, especially those who ask questions... The news about Curvija's licvidation was broadcasted together with the news that some australian major was caught as an infiltrator, and that his network was eliminated. You decide what was the message sent through the media.