the free press

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Apr 14 13:15:51 PDT 1999

Ah, our free press! I just signed onto the MSNBC website for the latest war news, and was greeted by a big headline saying "Peace plan hits hurdles: objections raised to cease-fire; NATO denies it hit refugee convoy." Always lead with obstacles and denials when you're trying to nip something in the bud! Below it is an ad for CNBC's Equal Time, hosted by Oliver North, with the tagline, "It's hard to argue with a man who's not afraid to take sides. That won't stop his guests from trying." It's hard to argue with a man who runs death squads to, but, hey, that's ancient history.

Doug