Kosovo Article by Gar W. Lipow

Gar Lipow lipowg at sprintmail.com
Thu Apr 15 18:57:11 PDT 1999

The following is an article I have written and submitted to a local Olympia, weekly (Works In Progress) which has not yet been accepted or rejected. It is also posted on Znet. I'm fowarding it to these lists as a representation of one strand of anti-bombing thought. For those who already oppose the bombing, it is written in a fairly popular style, and thus may be useful in organizing.

Stop the bombing now. Cruise missile humanitarianism has multiplied the number of Kosovar Albanian homeless and dead, without saving one life, or stopping one atrocity. By highest estimates, the Kosovo civil war drove 400,000 ethnic Albanians from their homes in 1998; 30,000 of these fled Kosovo. The first two weeks of the bombing increased this to over one million homeless Kosovars; more than 400,000 of whom fled Kosovo.
>From March 26th through April 13th, NATO escalated the atrocities to
double those in the whole year of 1998.

NATO bears the same responsibility a police officer does in a hostage situation - the responsibility not to get the hostages killed by charging at the kidnapper in a macho frenzy. The CIA and Pentagon both warned our government that it would provoke massacres before it dropped the first kind and cuddly bomb. Milosevic rose to power, in part, by stirring up Serbian nationalist sentiment over Kosovo.

Before our fighter jets flattened large portions of Serbia, Milosevic did not have everything his own way. There was a strong democratic opposition in Yugoslavia, and a strong opposition press. Milosevic was not in a position to completely ignore public opinion. It is far from sure that he could have escalated the level of atrocities.

The first bomb that came close to killing a Yugoslav child changed this. As would happen in the U.S. if bombs were falling on New York, Atlanta, Chicago and Seattle, Yugoslavians rallied 'round the flag. So long as NATO bombs fall on the suburbs and railways of Yugoslavia, there is no atrocity Milosevic can commit which will cost him popular support. War is freedom for tyrants.

In Kosovo, Serbia, and throughout Yugoslavia, NATO aims tenderhearted explosives at oil refineries, power plants, television stations, and office buildings - and quite often misses. It has admitted to unintentionally bombing residential suburbs, civilian factories, a passenger rail car, and part of a convoy of Albanian refugees. Pilots of British Harriers, tired of frequent misses, have turned to cluster bombs, which spray humanitarian shrapnel over a wide area.

In spite of claims to surgical precision, this amounts to indiscriminate terror bombing. Dennis J. Kucinich (D-OH) who initially supported the bombing now opposes it for just this reason.