Query on 'irrational' US foreign policy

Tavia tavia.nyongo at yale.edu
Sun Apr 18 06:17:54 PDT 1999

Someone posted comments from Noam Chomsky (from ZNet I think) in which he mentioned an official Clinton foreign policy document arguing that US strategy should appear to be as vindictive and irrational as possible in order to scare other countries into doing our bidding. Does anyone have the full text of this document, or relevant parts? To me, it is sort of a smoking gun, at least when it comes to arguing with my lefty friends who say that, since Serbia doesn't have oil, like Iraq, there is no economic interest for our intervention and therefore it *must* be humanitarian. I would like to be able to produce quotes demonstrating a third alternative: a substantial portion of US foreign policy derives its justification from the simple need to have the biggest dick in the international community.

Tavia