Marx and the American Civil War (was Re: Realism in Eastern Europe)

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 19 09:22:06 PDT 1999

Slavery is slavery, anceient or modern. The socio-economic function of slavery has not changed. What has changed is the organization of society. Marx's contribution lies in his providing moderns an objective and scientific view of slavery as it existed under capitalism in the indsurtrial age. Similarly, Marxist principles need to be adjusted for conditions as they exist now under finance capitalism and the age of information.

Henry