[Fwd: Social democracy betrayed -- Le Monde diplomatique]

Enrique Diaz-Alvarez enrique at anise.ee.cornell.edu
Mon Apr 19 11:43:18 PDT 1999

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Seth Ackerman wrote:
>
> >There is undoubtedly a global order enforced by the Pentagon. How Sweden
> >benefits from that any more than China does is not clear to me. Sweden
> >is not even part of NATO.
>
> Swedish multinationals have long enjoyed bigtime foreign profits which
> helped pay for the welfare state. Those multinationals would have a much
> harder time of it if it weren't for the Pentagon making the world safe for
> foreign investment.
>
> Doug

How big is bigtime? What fraction of Swedish welfare expenses are profits extracted by Swedish multinationals outside the first world?

Order of magnitude will do.

-- Enrique Diaz-Alvarez Office # (607) 255 5034 Electrical Engineering Home # (607) 272 4808 112 Phillips Hall Fax # (607) 255 4565 Cornell University mailto:enrique at ee.cornell.edu Ithaca, NY 14853 http://peta.ee.cornell.edu/~enrique