Service Industry Unions

S Pawlett epawlett at uniserve.com
Mon Apr 19 23:04:08 PDT 1999

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Jennifer A Young wrote:
>
> >I was wondering why service industry unions, especially restaurants, are not
> >more prevelent in the United States. I know there has been some success in
> >San Francisco, but where else? It seems that since welfare reform is
> >forcing people into these thankless positions there would be a good climate
> >for unions. I would be interested in hearing comments about this, and
> >would appreciate being steered toward some sources of information concerning
> >service industry unions.
>
> For one answer, see Liza Featherstone's article on McDonald's from LBO
> <http://www.panix.com/~dhenwood/McDonalds.html>. In a sentence, turnover is
> high and chain's like McD's will spend big bucks to crush any attempt.

The latest on the McD's union drive is that the Mcdonalds corporation is going to buy out the independant owner of the local franchise and close it down, even though it is the highest volume McD's in all of Canada and thus a tremendous money maker. Just shows you how anti-union these corporations are. McD' holds to the domino theory of unionization. The independant owner has the franchise for Subway and will soon open it up for business. It will not last long.

Sam Pawlett