more marxological trivia

Michael Hoover hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Tue Apr 20 07:42:36 PDT 1999

> The park was designed by Frederick Law Olmstead, who corresponded with Marx and
> warned him about a plot to dislodge him from the NY Tribune.
> > and for what it's worth, W was in on the design of NYC's Central Park...
> > Michael Hoover
> Michael Perelman

Weydemeyer was a surveyor on the project...Olmstead and Calvert Vaux, landscape architect who persuaded O to take on the Central Park plan, used forcible evictions to rid the site of hundreds of squatters...

Marx's decade-long relationship with the Tribune was certainly a difficult one...because the newspaper paid by the piece and only when the piece ran under a writer's by-line, M received no remuneration for articles not printed...additionally, the Tribune would sometimes publish his articles anonymously - either as unsigned editorials or as "From Our Foreign Correspondent" - for which he recived smaller payment...still Marx was the only foreign journalist maintained by the paper after the southern states seceded and formed the confederacy in Feb. 1861...it published none of his submissions, however, until October of that year and then printed 8 in two months...his final article for the Tribune appeared on xmas day - "The Mexican Imbroglio" warned against intervention of European powers in Mexico during US civil war...Michael Hoover