Model Cyber-Citizen

Paul Henry Rosenberg rad at gte.net
Tue Apr 20 10:03:50 PDT 1999

John K. Taber wrote:

> That is a parody of "I Am the Model of a Modern Major-General"
> from the Pirates of Penzance.
>
> I *thought* I recognized Gilbert and Sullivan, but I couldn't
> place it.

It's not a parody, it's an off-take. A parody pokes fun at the original, an off-take makes use of the original, and may range from being a homage -- as in this case -- to being simple nuetral.

-- Paul (who's first teen political lyrics were ALL off-takes of songs he liked, such as "Puff, The Magic H-Bomb" and "Michael, Close the Shelter Door.")

-- Paul Rosenberg Reason and Democracy rad at gte.net

"Let's put the information BACK into the information age!"