Service Industry Unions

Jennifer A Young CLEANBYRD at prodigy.net
Tue Apr 20 10:07:45 PDT 1999

-----Original Message----- From: Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Tuesday, April 20, 1999 10:59 AM Subject: Re: Service Industry Unions

>Jennifer A Young wrote:
>
>> Welfare reform coupled with an crummy, ignored
>> low end labor pool constitutes legalized slavery in my book.
>
>I agree with the emotional force behind Jennifer's use of "legalized
>slavery," but since what can *technically* be called legalized slavery
>is now occurring, and increasingly, in America's gulag, the federal and
>state prisons, I believe it is worthwhile to find other terms of opprobrium
>for the conditions she refers to so as not to weaken the force of
>"slavery" in its narrowest sense.
>
>(Workfare is *close* to actual slavery, but I think we should find
>a different term for it also.)
>
>Carrol

Dear Carol and Others,

I want to thank everyone for responding, I have been given some very helpful leads and tips. Carol, I would not want to lessen the significance of the Prison Moratorium Project and I will take your suggestion to heart. There has been a similar semantics debate regarding the use of the word genocide to describe what is happening in Kosovo/a. How about calling my pet issue- indefinite endentured servitude-?

I have been on this list for 24 hours and I really have enjoyed it so far! Every e-mail list I have encountered has had a degree of pure sniping mixed in with constructive critisism, and from the gender and ethinic debate I have witnessed here, this list will be no different. I love people! May we all have thick skins!

Peace, Jennnifer