The Reader on Ma(t)r(i)x

D.L. boddhisatva at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 20 13:48:30 PDT 1999

To whom...,

On "The Matrix", the difference between symbolism and decoration is meaning. "The Matrix" is a well-decorated movie. I guess it's been so long since anyone in Hollywood even bothered to decorate a movie with symbols that people are fascinated by the possibility there could actually be some symbolism in the movie. I was appalled at a review I read (NY Times, I think) in which the reviewer said the movie warmed his former-English-Teacher heart. Teaching symbolism is not the art of getting people to recognize blatant icons. Teaching symbolism is getting people to look for a relationship between a new story and a known story.

peace