A Personal Note

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Tue Apr 20 14:52:42 PDT 1999

With respect to the judicial appointment question it must be noted that an important element of that involves who controls the Senate. Bush and some of the other earlier Repugs (Nixon, Ford) were pressured to appoint somewhat more moderate Supreme Court justices (if not necessarily at the lower levels) because their appointments had to get approved by a Democrat controlled Senate. After his first two years Clinton has been facing the opposite situation with the Senate Repugs being very aggressive and all but promising to block any obviously "liberal" appointees. Barkley Rosser -----Original Message----- From: Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Tuesday, April 20, 1999 3:40 PM Subject: Re: A Personal Note