The Reader on Ma(t)r(i)x

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Wed Apr 21 09:06:07 PDT 1999

> >> But the special effects were great.
> >
> >Pretty much the epitaph for movies as a medium.
> >
> >Carl Remick
>
> Why? Given that 'movies' began as 'special effects'.
>
> Catherine

The art of special effects has advanced at the expense of characterization and plot development. Movies have contributed vastly to the domination of imagery over the written word and to the stupefaction of people in general. That's one reason I'm so enthusiastic about the rise of the Web -- the revenge of the literate!

Carl Remick