The Bourgeois Right to Bear Arms

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Apr 21 11:44:16 PDT 1999

At 01:45 PM 4/21/99 -0400, Emma wrote:
>Which is also why the threat of guns also work. Just having them, just
>showing them, just having the balls to do this is scary enough to make the
>government think twice.

Emma: I tend to agree with your principle. But the fact of the matter is that in this country many, if not most, gun owners are paranoid control freaks or stinking rednecks who use guns as fetishes to project their macho image. They may beat their wives into submission or shoot a foreigner who asks for dircetion - but standing up against government? Gimme a break.

I think the only relatively recent instance of using firearms for protection against government abuse were the Black Panthers - but in the end, they also were hunted down.

I think guns are fetishes - like religion, they lull you into thinking that your have power over your destiny and thus prevent from looking for real solutions to life problems.

Wojtek