The People's Right to Bear Arms

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Wed Apr 21 12:48:06 PDT 1999

> I'm surprised that American radicals should fail to understand the
> importance of the right to bear arms. Didn't the black
> panthers struggle
> to maintain this very right? ... A shame that the Panther's were
> beaten, or that
> shooting [in New York City] could have been prevented.

(Double over-quota) Sorry to be so gabby today, but I couldn't this (rare) lapse of good sense on Jim Heartfield's part pass. For all the romanticizing, the Black Panthers were a joke -- posturing with firearms, scaring the bejesus out of Middle America and helping to ensure that the left would remain a marginal force in American society. Thank God the Panthers *aren't* around in NYC these days -- their self-defeating "mau-mauing" (in Tom Wolfe's phrase) would be a *gift* to Mayor Rudy Giuliani, and the NYPD now would probably number 80,000 or more heavily armed cops instead of 40,000.

Carl Remick