Wage gap figures question??

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Wed Apr 21 14:48:58 PDT 1999

If one of you economists could explain this data, it is beyond me.

Looking over the CPS census data I found that women ($24,973) are paid less than men ($33,674).

But when I looked for numbers by race, I could choose between per capita and household comparisions. Per capita for blacks ($12,351 ), Asian ($18,226) and Hispanics ($10,773) were less than whites ($20,425). The Household figures placed Asians way above whites which must have to do with numbers of earners in the household?

The immediate question is why are the figures for men and women so much higher? Are the men/women figures not per capita or what? It just doesn't look right when you put it all together.

Marta Russell