demo stuff

rc-am rcollins at netlink.com.au
Wed Apr 21 12:05:02 PDT 1999

>What's going on exactly, protest-wise? I don't see or hear of much activity
>in New York, though maybe I'm out of touch. Any reports from elsewhere?

some stuff from aut: _________________________________________ Photos and flyer (in Finnish and English) of the Kosova/Yugoslavia demon held in Helsinki 17.4.1999 at the site http://listen.to/kosovo

Foto e volantino (in finlandese ed inglese) della manifestazione sul Kosovo e sulla Serbia svoltasi ad Helsinki in data 17.4 sul sito http://listen.to/kosovo _________________________________________

Photos from Sunday's demo at the USAF base in Aviano, Italy, can be found at

http://www.sherwood.it/aviano/fotoaviano.htm

An Italian-language account of the demo, at which a number of people were injured by teargas canisters fired at head height, can be found at

http://www.sherwood.it/aviano/index.htm

There has been a steady stream of antiwar activity in Italy over the past fortnight or so. For those without access to Italian sources, here are some recent highlights (largely taken from the daily paper _il manifesto_, and the social centres mailing list):

3 April: national demo in Rome, with perhaps 100,000 present. Social centres, pacifist groups, gay and lesbian organisations, the youth wings of the major left parties are all present. A large Kurdish contingent proclaims itself "against all ethnic cleansing".

7 April: the national leaderships of the "official" unions (CGIL, CISL and UIL) hold a demo in Bari in support of the "path of negotiation and peace" in Kosovo. 40,000 take part [rather more, I suspect, than the hard core of functionaries, delegates and activists who were expected].

8 April: Rifondazione organises a sit-in outside the offices of RAI (state broadcaster) in Rome. Demos and meetings called by a range of alternative unions in Milan, Brindisi and Taranto. A number of short stoppages had already been called over the previous week by alternative unions such as the SLAI, Cobas and CUB.

9 April: Panetteria occupata calls a demo outside the airforce barracks in Milan; the Intifada social centre in Florence holds a "concert against the war".

10 April: Social centres and others call demos outside US or NATO bases in Piacenza, Bari and San Piero a Grado.

11 April (today): The Ya Basta association and others will hold a demo at the US base at Aviano.

14 April: the USI (anarcho-syndicalist union) is calling for a general strike on this day.