Wage gap figures question??

Heather Boushey hboushey at csi.com
Thu Apr 22 10:46:44 PDT 1999

The numbers you want are the ones you already found: women ($24,973) are paid less than men ($33,674) for full time, full year workers.

Check out: http://www.census.gov/hhes/income/histinc/p02.html for tables on median income by race and gender for all persons and http://www.census.gov/hhes/income/histinc/p03.html for mean income.

Note that the above tables are for ALL workers, part-time, part-year, etc. For full-time, full-year figures by gender, you went to: http://www.census.gov/hhes/income/histinc/p29.html For full time, full year by race, go to tables 29A and 29B on the same webpage.

Just for the record, median wages for women in 1997 were $9.63 and for men $14.39.

Cheers, Heather

-- Heather Boushey, Ph.D. Research Department NYC Housing Authority 250 Broadway, Room 711 New York, NY 10007 Phone: 212-306-3372; Fax: 212-306-7905 hboushey at csi.com