Jane's Defense Weekly on Balkans

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Thu Apr 22 10:00:29 PDT 1999

Greg,

Interesting post, but a few caveats:

1) The claim that Albania sits astride the two major routes linking "Europe and the East" is nonsense. Hey, the Danube does not run through Albania! Maybe for the old Venetian Republic, and maybe for modern Italy, but Europe? Nah.

2) Bassett like others seems to think that partition is a viable solution. There are people in Washington mumbling about establishing an enclave for the Albanian refugees inside Kosmet. Maybe. But there is no obvious line of partition. Kosmet is not neatly divided into zones where one group is predominant and then another. It is too muddled up. And the zone that would be the obvious Albanian enclave would be in the south. But that is where most of the Serbian religious and historical monuments are that form the basis of the chauvinistic "heart of Serbia" argument that drives the worst of the fanatics in Belgrade.

3) With respect to the latter I would note that the historic "heart of Bulgaria" is in what is now Macedonia. The attitude of the Bulgarians is a sharp contrast with that of the Serbians, despite that vague plottings by the Bulgarians.

4) BTW, Bulgaria is officially backing NATO and even begging to join, although it may be that popular opinion in Bulgaria is much more pro-Serb. Barkley Rosser -----Original Message----- From: Greg Nowell <GN842 at CNSVAX.Albany.Edu> To: lbo talk <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Wednesday, April 21, 1999 7:20 PM Subject: Jane's Defense Weekly on Balkans