Jack Kemp to Dan Quayle: oppose Nato's bombing of Yugoslavia

Adam Souzis adam at souzis.com
Thu Apr 22 11:35:50 PDT 1999

Oops the page just moved... now it at http://www.polyconomics.com/searchbase/04-21-99.html

Anyway, here's the text of the page if your interested. -- adam

April 21, 1999

Kemp to Quayle on Kosovo (April 6)

Memo To: Political commentators

From: Jude Wanniski

Re: Leading on Kosovo

Following is a memo Jack Kemp of Empower America sent to former

Vice President Dan Quayle earlier this month. Kemp apparently sent

the memo to some of the GOP leaders on Capitol Hill and Robert

Novak asked Quayle about it on his CNN show last Saturday

(4/17/99). We linked to that interview Tuesday and you can catch up

with it today. The Kemp memo, you will see, is remarkable in its length

and harshness in its criticism of the bombing campaign. Kemp has not

endorsed Quayle’s presidential candidacy, but they appear to see

eye-to-eye on the Balkans.

* * * * *

Memorandum To: Dan Quayle

From: Jack Kemp

Subject: Leading on Kosovo

Thanks for calling Sunday. Here’s the memo you asked for on my

"take" on the situation in Kosovo:

The road to hell is paved with good intentions, which is where we are

surely headed in Yugoslavia unless a Republican leader emerges to

clear a path toward a more positive outcome. The fact that so many

leading congressional Republicans shared in the design of the

administration's failed policy tells us that there is little room for partisan

criticism of the President, but enormous room for constructive criticism.

Because you are a serious candidate for the presidency yourself, and

I've taken myself out of the competition, it could be that you are the

man to fill this crying need -- to prevent what could easily become the

biggest American foreign policy failure since the Bay of Pigs.

Early on, regrettably, a few leading congressional Republicans bought

into the President's poorly conceived strategy, giving it a gloss of

bipartisianship by voting to support the bombing. By doing so, they put

us on the path to war and put the vast majority of Republicans in a very

tight corner. A number of the other Republican presidential contenders

have either joined in support of intervention, remained silent, or

straddled the issue with vague statements. Now, having been dragged

into a genuine foreign policy debacle, the American people find

themselves in a quandary. We not only blundered to this point through a

bipartisan miscalculation. We also face a slippery slope that promises to

end in much greater violence, human suffering and loss of life.

Will we, as I believe we must, have the courage and the ingenuity to cut

the devastation on both sides, stop the ill-conceived war immediately

and help construct a diplomatic solution? And if we do, how can we get

out without rewarding Milosevic’s despicable behavior and without

destroying our credibility in the process? Or, will we be lured deeper

into a bloody quagmire under the delusion that we have no choice but to

fight our way out, no matter what the costs in human life?

Politically, these questions are so tough for Republicans, and

emotionally, the "fight-response" is so powerful when our troops are in

harm’s way that most of our colleagues will fail to see a way out of the

morass. They will find themselves sucked deeper into war. That’s why I

believe you can help lead America out of the cul-de-sac into which

we’ve stumbled. For a presidential contender, what I am suggesting will

be risky. It will take courage to stand against this war and to show

America where her long-term self-interests really lie. It will, in short,

require a vision of what America’s foreign policy should look like in the

21st Century.

There are only two serious reasons for the U.S. ever to have

considered transforming NATO from a successful defensive alliance

into an agent of offensive action. The weaker of the two reasons is that

humanitarianism requires it. Kosovo -- at least before NATO’s

bombing turned it into a major humanitarian catastrophe -- has been a

humanitarian disaster but no where near the same magnitude of scores

of other such civil wars taking place around the globe. If

humanitarianism justifies and requires our military intervention in

Kosovo, it means that we would truly become the policeman of the

world. Humanitarianism is a slippery slope into war and as a general

proposition should never be the sole, or even the primary, reason we

risk spilling American blood on the battlefield.

The stronger of the two reasons for is that we put our credibility behind

the transformation of NATO into a police force and now must proceed

to victory at all costs in order to preserve our credibility. That is, the

consequences of not winning are too serious to endure. Henry Kissinger

believes the bombing was wrong but that once begun there is no retreat;

that unless we go into Kosovo with an occupying army to guarantee

Kosovar independence we will legitimize the massive ethnic cleansing

stimulated by the bombing and thereby abandon our credibility.

Kissinger states forthrightly that he believes we have no choice but to

violate Serbian sovereignty, wrench Kosovo away from Serbia and set

it up as an independent protectorate of NATO. By so doing, Kissinger

acknowledges we will be assuming for ourselves the same despised role

played by the Ottoman and Austro-Hungarian empires in the Balkans.

Yet, in spite of so undesirable an outcome, Henry still believes we must

continue along this course because he can conceive of no other escape

from the President’s disastrous intervention.

Several Republicans in addition to Kissinger, all of whom I hold in

equally high regard (such as Bob and Elizabeth Dole, Steve Forbes,

George W. Bush and John McCain), also have concluded that no

matter how weak the case for war in Kosovo may be on the merits, we

are now inextricably involved, and we must, therefore, do whatever is

necessary militarily to "win." We are in the bramble; it is impossible to

back out gracefully. Therefore we must fight our way out the other side.

Some have suggested that this implies a relentless bombing campaign to

force Milosevic to give up Kosovo. Others insist that a massive ground

assault is necessary to throw the Serbs out of Kosovo. Some contend

that it would be safe and sufficient to arm the KLA insurgency so the

Kosovar Albanians can carry out a guerilla war and win their

independence or fight the Serbs to a standstill inside Kosovo -- a form

of "Albanianization" of the war.

But Dan, as difficult and perilous as the Republican Establishment

makes stopping the war sound, I am convinced that continuing the war

is immeasurably more dangerous. The false premise on which the

Establishment’s line of reasoning rests is that peace around the world

hangs on whether or not people believe America is prepared to go to

war to preserve it. World peace cannot rest on American threats of

violence, bombs at midnight or the "bully" tactics of President Clinton. If

this is where American foreign policy is heading in the next century, we

are in big trouble.

Of the three war options in Kosovo, arming the KLA looks most

attractive on its face because it would seem to permit us to continue the

war from afar long after we have run short of cruise missiles. I believe,

however, that this strategy rests on a false premise, which mistakenly

analogizes Kosovo to our successful efforts during the Cold War to arm

other resistance groups who were fighting Communism. The logical flaw

in drawing this analogy is that the successful efforts in Latin America,

Africa and Afghanistan worked precisely because they involved a

calculated strategy of siding with one faction in a civil war to combat a

common enemy that threatened the U.S. directly -- Communism. We

threw in our lot with some rather nasty people during the Cold War, not

because we were particularly interested in seeing them rule but rather

because we had a very definite and well defined interest in preventing

Communism from spreading anywhere else around the world. We face

no common enemy in the Balkans.

In arming the KLA -- a group funded by drug money that the State

Department contends has committed terrorist acts -- we would run a

huge risk of fanning the flames of Muslim fundamentalism against a

former Christian ally. Israel’s foreign minister, Ariel Sharon, warns that

there are Hezbollah people, mujahidin forces and Bin-Laden people, all

working with the KLA. Arming the KLA is the fastest way I know to

turn Bill Clinton’s disingenuous warnings about a Balkan "tinder box"

into a self-fulfilling prophecy. Arming the KLA would almost certainly

destabilize the region even further -- not to mention the horrible

precedent it would set. If we become the KLA’s arms merchant, should

we also assist the Tibetans against Beijing, the Chechans against

Moscow, the IRA against London, the Kurds against Turkey, Quebec

against Canada and the Basques against Madrid? See where this goes?

It would lead to enormous pressure to enter into every "war for

independence" that came along. It is Wilsonianism run amok and the

logical extension of an emerging Clinton doctrine.

I believe the way out of this box begins, but does not end as the Clinton

Administration insists, with the Rambouillet proposal. I believe we must

elicit Russia’s assistance to transform the Rambouillet proposal into a

workable framework for peace. The President insists that the only way

out of his fool-hearty war is to embark on "relentless bombing" to

impose a fatally flawed peace. Instead, if we would stop the bombing

and listen carefully to the signals being sent by the Serbian government,

I believe we would hear Belgrade accepting three of the four

Rambouillet conditions: 1.) a cease fire with withdrawal of Serbian

military forces from part or all of Kosovo; 2.) some form of self

government for the Kosovar Albanians; and 3.) allowing the refugees to

return to their homes. The one condition rejected by Serbia, the same

condition that doomed the Rambouillet proposal from the outset, is the

stationing of NATO troops in Kosovo as a peacekeeping force.

Dropping this fourth condition is, I believe, the key. Instead of insisting

on stationing NATO troops in Kosovo, I believe a combined force

made up of the OSCE monitors that left in the wake of the war and

other military forces acceptable to Belgrade (Russian for example),

would allow Serbia to retain its sovereignty at the same time it gave

NATO, and more importantly the refugees, a high degree of certainty

that the ethnic cleansing will not recur. A fifth condition touted by a

growing number of people is removal of Milosevic from office. I agree

with Henry Kissinger, in this case, that such a condition is unnecessary

and likely to be counterproductive.

Our greatest hope for peace in the Balkans is an economically

prosperous region.... We must prevent bad economic policy from

undermining any political settlement that emerges. It was the IMF that

created a tinderbox out of the Balkans at the end of the Cold War. The

result of the IMF’s deadly economic medicine of the late 1980s has

been to bankrupt the entire Yugoslav economy, destroy the currency

and unemploy the people. We should be doing everything possible to

prevent the IMF from re-entering the region and undermining efforts to

rebuild the economies.

The Joint Chiefs resisted this war because they knew that no

fundamental U.S. interests were at stake, and they understood better

than anyone the impossible demands the Clinton Administration was

placing on the military. The military professionals also understand that

no military "solution" can ever hope to solve what is, at heart, both an

economic and a political problem.

Ronald Reagan won the Cold War not only because of his nerve in

confronting the Evil Empire but also because of his ability to recognize a

mistake like the one he made in Lebanon and reverse course before he

made a bad situation worse. What would Ronald Reagan do in

Kosovo? First, he would never have gotten us in, but had he made the

mistake of getting us involved, he certainly would not have allowed a

misplaced sense of machismo to compound the mistake with more

mindless violence.

* * * * *