Youth violence

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Apr 23 05:26:52 PDT 1999

Tavia wrote:

> I am quite sure I would be too nauseated to watch the ongoing TV 'analysis'
> of this most recent school murder spree. By now our cynicism comes
> scripted.* I can already picture the one-word Time magazine cover next week:
> WHY?* [emphasis added]
>
> It is almost as if the media has come to expect and depend upon the
> catharsis of such 'senseless violence,' so that the violence in the final
> analysis becomes not senseless at all, but deeply meaning-laden, like a
> human sacrifice.

I haven't seen any response yet to this post, and particularly this passage, from Tavia. It seems to me rather important.

Quite franklly individual acts of horror such as this don't seem to me to offer much meat for analysis. High schools, education, is worth talking about. It's an important aspect of u.s. society, ideology, class discipline, etc. But hanging it on this headline affair seems strained.

Carrol