Castells

Tavia tavia.nyongo at yale.edu
Fri Apr 23 02:57:42 PDT 1999

RE:

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>Subject: Castells
>
>[Am I the only guy who finds Castells stuff to be virtually empty? - Doug]

I was assigned 'The Informational City' in the summer of 1995 in a senior seminar on the city. This was before I had really encountered the internet--and I found his model of 'the space of places' versus 'the space of flows' a very useful way of thinking about the transformations of public space occuring around me.

Having said that, I have gone on to read geographers like David Harvey which make me realize the things I thought were so novel about Castells were not really. And I don't understand what he means when he says Marxism is just a sort of science with no political valence attached to it. I find this a weird position to take and made me automatically distrust him.

Tavia