Carl and Paul Henry on Ma(t)r(i)x

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Apr 23 13:51:26 PDT 1999

Jonathan Sterne wrote:

> No, but it does claim that movies contribute to making people stupid.
> That's straight outta Carl's quote. I think he's wrong, and I'd like to
> see that assertion backed up with something other than reassertion.

I haven't read any previous posts on this thread -- but geez, this 2400 year old argument (probably older) still being chewed over. Aristotle made the complaint about Euripides. Jonson made it about Shakespeare. Pope made it about Italian Opera. Wordsworth made it about drama is general. If someone is seriously claiming that any kind of entertainment makes people stupid they are out of their fucking minds.

Carrol