Adieu Marlboro Man

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Fri Apr 23 14:38:19 PDT 1999

Much propaganda will of course remain. But the billboards for the Marlboro Man are coming down over the USA as a result of the law settlement.

Trivial and not at all revolutionary in one sense. Capitalism is infinitely adaptable and will strive to accumulate surplus value whatever commodities it is allowed to make.

But in the sense of social production controlled by social foresight, a victory for those who believe in social consciousness in the USA.

And yes I do know tobacco capital will find other ways to advertise. And I do know that some people will not find it a victory at all.

But it is.

Chris Burford

London