race & murder

Fri Apr 23 18:21:59 PDT 1999

>>> <digloria at mindspring.com> 04/23/99 09:15PM >>>

you know chaz, you have an amazing capacity for failing to pay attention to what kirsten already said: she agreed with you that the media is racist. however, if we're going to have a debate about whether this was inspired by racism or whatever then we have to draw on information that we get from somewhere. yeah, we should view it with a jaundiced eye--no one has disputed that. but what else can we possibly ground our arguments in? fiction? hyperbolic speculation? just attribute motivations to them out of thin air? intuition? esp? chanelling with the dead? what charles? ((((((((((((((

CB: Say "the NYT SAID the father said such and such" . Don't say "the father contradicted himself" and then quote the NYT. Recognize in grounding your argument that the NYT is the working hard to hide racism , sexism etc. , so their reports that tend to make you think racism was not involved are should be viewed with suspicion.

unless you've got sources from people who've personally interviewed everyone involved, etc then all we have is what's reported by the media. this is, at best, a pretty damn lame criticism, particularly since kirsten already made clear that she agrees with you.

so what did you think of those extraordinarily racist web sites, ey?

CB: Good liars do not lie most of the time. They lie on critical points. Most of what is reported in the monopoly media is true, but unimportant or half-truth. That can be used with a critical state of mind , plus inference, plus alternative news sources. But it is not easy to get the truth when you are part of a very sophisticated, totalitarian system of mindcontrol.

There is plenty of evidence that the boys were into racism FROM THE NYT etc. It is just rhetorically structured to persuade people that racism is not an IMPORTANT dimension to this tragedy, so that people will think of it the way you and Kristen do.

Your vigorous argument that racism is not an important aspect of what this tragedy represents is exactly the state of mind, ignoring the obvious, that the NYT and the whole media are triving to instill in most people.

CB