give war a chance (cont.)

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat Apr 24 03:21:25 PDT 1999

Oy, this was horrible. As was everything he's written for the last two weeks and probably for all those years on the editorial page when I haven't been reading him. Those of you who said he was loathesome are right. It's hard to believe this the same guy that wrote so well during the Israeli invasion of Lebanon. He was famous then for reporting that the Israelis were bombing Beirut indiscriminately -- that was the key word -- and getting his Times story spike on that account. His heated cables of protest were published in the Voice by Cockburn, and amounted to "This isn't hearsay, I'm standing here and there are bombs falling on me!" Perhaps that's the problem in a nutshell. Now that he's an editorial thumbsucker, he isn't on the battlefield. But still, it must take an act of evil will to have so little sympathy after you've actually seen bombing.

Michael