Youth violence

S Pawlett epawlett at uniserve.com
Sat Apr 24 23:32:44 PDT 1999

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Tavia wrote:
>
> >I'm also interested in what people think of Mike Males' writings on 'The
> >Scapegoat Generation' which argues that young people are an increasingly
> >demonized segment of society and are blamed for almost every social ill
> >(drugs, crime, welfare abuse) while at the same moment being one of the
> >most vulnerable and attacked segment in society.
>
> I think Males is absolutely right about the demonization of young people.
> But he's really nuts on the geezer issue - he returns the favor by
> demonizing Social Security recipients as hogging resources at the expense
> of kids. DuBoff & Herman sent me a paper they did recently showing that in
> his latest book Males seriously misquoted several LA Times stories to make
> his point. I'd give more details, but I can't find the damn thing right now.

DuBoff and Herman also wrote a lengthy attack on Males in Z mag (I forget the ish #) a while ago, to which Males responded and D&H responded in turn. The exchange focussed mostly on issues around pensions. I found it all very confusing since I know little about the US pension plan system and the D&H piece was highly polemical and emotionally charged, verging on personal attack. I suspect that was because D&H are close to retirement age and Males, I would assume, is a young person. Generational warfare. Yuck.

Sam Pawlett