Video Killed the Radio Star

rc-am rcollins at netlink.com.au
Sun Apr 25 07:19:05 PDT 1999

Michael cited:

>> From Need to Know, the sarcastic Brit-nerd newsletter:
>> ...hold on. If it was Doom, how come they could shoot under
tables?

is this a heartless comment? i don't think so. why would it be heartless to point out, admittedly in a blithe fashion, that none of the things these guys did they could have learnt from a game that it being blamed for having exerted the significant influence?

i agree wholeheartedly with dennis, and would add that the significant variable in this is not computer games or even bomb-making lessons on the internet, but a really crap society, especially for young people, in which the desire for retribution and revenge has no other outlet than that of arbitrariness and scapegoating - as the guy disenfranchised and dispossessed in The Grapes of Wrath keeps asking, 'who do i kill?'.

moreover, there seems to be no inclination, especially on the left, to consider seriously what kind of justice would not be framed entirely in terms of retribution and the settling of accounts. i can't recall who said it here, but i too am not surprised the school shootings happened, i'm surprised it doesn't happen all the time.

ps. dennis, when do we meet up for a round of quake?

Angela --- rcollins at netlink.com.au