race & murder

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Apr 25 12:17:50 PDT 1999

Jim heartfield wrote:

>I remember Sid Vicious wearing a Swastika T-Shirt - which had tremendous
>shock value in Britain - but in no sense meant that he was Nazi or even
>racist (he wasn't).

Yeah but Sid Vicious killed only himself. And he was in a great band and did a wonderful cover of "My Way."

Sure, real Nazis would hate the kids' indiscipline, and their racism may not have been worked out and systematized to a properly Aryan degree, but there's got to be something to the use of Nazi symbolism besides shock value - some real ecstatic pleasure taken in hatred and murder that's beyond the comprehension of most of us typing here.

Doug