Marx in support of capitalist war

Sun Apr 25 12:41:06 PDT 1999

Chris Burford wrote:

>>But as for Marx's would be followers, who are followers without
>>reading
>>Marx closely, they must be turning today in their graves -
>>intellectual
>>graves that is. Corporeally alive, but dialectically dead.
>
>I cannot help but suspect that Marx had Chris Burford in mind when
>is reported (by Engels) to have shouted "Je ne suis pas un Marxist!"
>
> Jim Farmelant

I am looking forward to Chris reply to Jim F's seemingly persuasive response. But I can't think of anything more dialectically dead than seeking to justify NATO aggression by seeking the most absurd formal resemblances in the North's War then and NATO's aggression now. For Marx, the appeal to formal resemblance would have even failed in the case of the Mexican American War and the Civil War: for the former he would have applauded Thoreau and Lowell*; in the latter War however Marx would have drafted them.

Yours, Rakesh

*Engels made the error of supporting this war as he failed to understand it as the forcible expansion of plantation slavery; Rosdolsky discusses this in his book on non historic nations.