The People's Right to Bear Arms

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Apr 25 21:50:31 PDT 1999

On Sun, 25 Apr 1999, Jordan Hayes wrote:

> From mpollak at panix.com Sun Apr 25 19:41:52 1999
>
> > 'Kids in Glasgow' do not shoot each other over football games.
>
> They don't because they don't have guns.
> Whereas in this country we shoot each other over schoolyard
> basketball games all the time. It's barely news in my city.
>
> Of course, NYC has much stricter gun laws than Glasgow.

Jordan, you have no idea what you're talking about. Handguns have been completely banned in Britain. It's illegal to own them. As for numbers, in 1996, 9,390 people were murdered by handguns in the US. (The total figures, including suicides and accidents are 4 times as high). During the same period, 30 people were murdered with handguns in Britain. Multiply by 5 to make up for the population factor and it's still quite a gulf. You think this is just because we're better shots? I think it's because we have more and better guns.

> If I didn't know better, I'd say that's the most racist thing I've
> heard all week. And it's only Sunday!

That's the second time you've called me a racist Jordan. I've made a big effort to be civil with you despite your parrotry, on and offline. But it hasn't been reciprocated. Now you're going, quite appropriately, into the kill file.