welfare coverage

jf noonan jfn1 at msc.com
Mon Apr 26 09:16:31 PDT 1999

On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Max Sawicky wrote:
>
> >FSP and Medicaid are uncoupled from AFDC, so losing TANF has no
> >bearing on their eligibility for the other two.
>
> Not legally, no, but certainly in practice. People kicked off AFDC often
> assume they've lost eligibility for Food Stamps & Medicaid, and no one is
> telling them anything to the contrary. I know this is happening in NYC -
> where the welfare offices have been renamed job centers - and assume it's
> happening elsewhere as well.
>
> Doug

It is happening in Texas as well. The technique ranges from silently allowing people to assume they are not qualified for Food Stamps and Medicaid, to actually lying to them. I just read an article on this and I'll try to track down a cite. Relatedly, the Ag. Dept. is beefing up a campaign to let people know that they may still qualify for Food Stamps, even if not cash assistance. This I heard last week on NPR.

Max surprises me with his "more dollars spent" argument as I'm most used to hearing that argument from Rush Limbaugh. When Max has his "welfare is wonderful here in the workers' paradise" paper ready, I will look forward to reading it as I have considerably more respect for him than I do for Limblather.

Joseph Noonan jfn1 at msc.com

If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution.

-Emma Goldman