Race & Murder

digloria at mindspring.com digloria at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 26 12:47:14 PDT 1999

charles places the finishing touches on his strawman with

>The problem with Jim H. and the others who argue like him on this thread
is he thinks there is some problem of complaining about racism too much in this society or a problem of labelling non-racist events as racist. It seems to be part of his theme of fighting against "panics".

oh don't lump me or anyone else who's disagreed with you in with Jim here. have the decency to name names or respond to us individually because we've all made specific arguments that are different. you've got a problem with Jim, then have it out with him.

your problem right now, as far as i can tell, is that you need to backpaddle and figure out how to shift attention from the fact that you felt that race was so damn important here, that it explained a great deal, that it explained much more than the media allowed for and indeed that there was nothing wrong with overemphasizing race. you took those positions. when confronted with new evidence--like the website--you had the audacity to suggest that those kids constructed some elaborate plan to mislead, to lie, to deflect attention from what you've assumed is an inevitable race hatred (not just ordinary racism which i've never denied) based on absolutely NO evidence save the use of a racial epithets, the wearing of Nazi symbols.

go ahead charles, call me a racist. how simple. what a tactic.

it appears that you need to shift attention away from those earlier claims because these diaries reveal that these kids wanted to kill hundreds and they didn't care what their skin color or religion was. this latest info makes your one sided explanations that racism was a primary motive and your justifications for overemphasizing race at the expense of other variables look extremely foolish. what looks more foolish: your refusal to examine evidence, to be cautious and thoughtful, and to spend time providing complex nuanced analyses of the situation rather than reaching for altogether too easy, thread bare explanations.

you think I contribute to racism in this country? what a laff riot.

you grind yours, i'll grind mine

kelley

“touch yourself and you will know that i exist.” ~luce irigaray