Race & Murder/ Strawperson of "only racism"

EmaChissit at cs.com EmaChissit at cs.com
Mon Apr 26 13:03:04 PDT 1999

CharlesB at CNCL.ci.detroit.mi.us writes:

> I agree with Mark Rickling's statement here.

I am sure you do.

>This thread is significant
> because it is "symptomatic of a larger problem many have of coming to grips
> with racism". A while ago I protested that a media headline saying "Group
> hated athletes the most". It started out "Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris
> hurled insults at Jews, blacks and Hispanics at Columbine High School. But
> they REALLY hated the athletes, who had power and popularity - everything
> they didn't."

Why is it so hard to believe that two young men in a predominantly white world REALLY hated jocks. Jocks who sometimes mocked them, who called them queers, who slammed them against walls, who belittled them and teased them?

Why is it so difficult to believe that, in the first place, they felt alienated in a world in which social status is EVERYTHING and yet even their access to the money that bought them the symbols of status didn't necessarily place them in the ruling elite in the school we call Columbine but which stands in for EVERY SCHOOL?

Why is that hard to understand? Why is that not a significant social factor to explore. Why do we have to necessarily think that they were racists in the extreme?

What evidence to you have that they were. Come on, fork it over. Tell me and everyone else that they set out to kill blacks and were primarily motivated by racism.

Come on. Show us what you've got.

Emma Chissit.