Nato and Milosevic: Lovers Quarrel, Cont'd.

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Tue Apr 27 12:26:05 PDT 1999

Max,

I think that you are giving altogether too much credit to His Excellency here. If he cared about his country he would have accepted Rambouillet. All he cares about is his own power. The guy is widely reported to be a manic depressive whose parents committed suicide. He is so cold and remote he can't even show up in public to meet with his troops or those who have been bombed. He has no personal friends. He apparently can only function when there is a crisis, like now. The Serbian people do not love him and are aware of how his actions have drastically reduced the Serbian population in various areas and their economy and standing in the world. But, as long as NATO is bombing, he is their guy and no one will criticize him. Why should he cut a deal?

BTW, I would ask those who criticize the "demonization" of His Excellency: How would the world be different today if HIs Excellency had fallen dead of a heart attack in about 1986? Maybe Slovenia and Croatia would still have seceded, although perhaps a bit later. But, very likely there would have been no wars in Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, or Kosovo-Metohija. That's quite a few hundred thousand people. Plus, Yugoslavia's GDP would almost certainly be substantially higher today than it is.

BTW2, in spite of my demonizing of the guy, I still say: stop the bombing now! for reasons I have expressed at length before. Barkley Rosser -----Original Message----- From: Max Sawicky <sawicky at epinet.org> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Tuesday, April 27, 1999 10:46 AM Subject: RE: Nato and Milosevic: Lovers Quarrel, Cont'd.