Race & Murder

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Apr 27 13:16:14 PDT 1999

rc-am wrote:

>how this relates to the discussion on the shootings I'm not at all sure.

I once spent the better part of a day trying to think of an aspect of American social life that wasn't touched by race, and couldn't come up with one. The identity of a place like Littleton is bound up with white suburbanization. It's no surprise the killers' murderous fantasies were so racialized - racialized images of sex and violence are in every American head. (We make our fantasies but not with elements of our own choosing.) So it makes sense to me to say there were racial components to the massacre, but I don't see how you could make it the centerpiece.

Doug