Race & Murder

digloria at mindspring.com digloria at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 27 14:16:40 PDT 1999

>Seems to me that people seething with poorly articulated hatreds can choose
>race as one of many pre-existing channels for their rage.
>
>Doug

exfuckingzactly. that's what i've been saying, kirsten's been saying and i'm sure others. the complex dynamics of capitalist class relations produces alienation, anger, nihilism, etc. the immediate enemies in their world were jocks and the like who tormented them, threw food at them, slammed them against lockers, and called them fags, etc. how do you respond to that,how do you express your anger? you aren't in the 'in' crowd. (but like all kids they probably want to be) so you define yourselves against them and you construct an identity based on hating them.

and yet, this makes you uncomfortable, makes you seem childish even in your own eyes for hating people who are successful (ideology: don't hate me because i'm successful, if you do it's because you're just jealous; your failure is *YOUR* fault). and so what do you do? you channel your energy into the hatred of minority scapegoats, into the hurling of racist comments. it is an acceptable discourse through which to chanel your rage.

but that does not necessarily mean that these kids were virulently racist or any more racist than the kids they may have shot. and don't forget all these comments that are reported--made by kids who didn't like them, who branded them as freaks, who wanted to see them as alien Others.

donning the symbolism of nazism, satanism, and goths is also a wonderful way to armour yourself with symbols that encourage others to fear you. what a way to scare people, what a way to imagine yourself as powerful. as the Guardian reported, these kids apparently took on the role of God when they shot a Christian girl, then the role of a Nazi when they shot Shoels.

kelley

“touch yourself and you will know that i exist.” ~luce irigaray