Free market economists?

Roger Odisio rodisio at igc.org
Wed Apr 28 01:03:19 PDT 1999

At 11:52 PM 4/27/1999 -0500, Jennifer A Young wrote:
>Thanks for the warning. I just picked up a book by Thomas Sowell-"A
>Conflict of Visions: Ideological Origins of Political Struggles" at my
>local library's fill up a paper bag for two dollars sale. Maybe I won't
>bother with it now.

Sowell is a charlatan, Jennifer. He actually began as a Marxist. In '63, on the centennial of the publication of Capital, he wrote a journal article on the meaning of the book, that I think was quite good. Some time after that he became a rabid right winger and has spewed out nonsense ever since. I concluded a long time ago that he switched sides to mainly enhance his chances for fame and fortune. He is black. Black voices on the left are many; it can be hard to get attention. But by becoming a black conservative economist, he had the field pretty much to himself for quite a while.

If anyone knows any more details of Sowell's transformation (problem), I'd like to hear them.